Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review of Soaring Above Co-Addiction by Lisa Ann Espich

The author Lisa Espich says in her note to the reader that her goal was to inspire the reader and show them that recovery is possible. Espich describes her cycle of co-addiction. "I was living a constant cycle of arguing and crying, driving around late at night looking for my husband, buying back our belongings from pawn shops, putting myself in dangerous situations, feeling alone and confused." Any co-dependent who reads these words knows this is a person who truly understands. When Espich berates herself for not leaving and admits she just wasn't ready, the reader knows this book will have tips she or he can really use -- and it does.

Espich found her way using journaling and after each chapter she has tips for journaling. I was struck by her honest relating a very personal dream she had when her husband was at the depths of his addiction, and how she analyzed the dream and received its message. As Espich worked to take control of her life, her husband began to make positive changes as well. They now enjoy a healthy marriage. However, she makes it clear that she will have to continue on her path regardless of whether or not her husband remains clean.

The book echoed a journey I had taken myself, I wish I had read this book earlier in life, but I can testifiy that it will work and it worked the same way for me.

Review by Julia Widdop

No comments:

Post a Comment